Wednesday, August 10, 2011

**Warning** major complaining

I'm tired of summer vacation. 

It has become more of a summer stress than a vacation!  The kids are constantly bickering and getting on each other's nerves.  In fact, Jon was happy to go to work after 7 days off. I can't say that he and I are any better.  We try hard not to aggravate each other, or to let things bug us, but our patience is wearing super thin!  Maybe it's just me, but this summer vacation seems to be exceptionally long.  It really isn't, but since we did our major trip the weekend before school let out and then finished it up the week after, we seem to have nothing to look forward to.  It doesn't help that we've also had van troubles that we are still recovering from paying.  I hate getting behind.  It always takes 3-4 times as long to catch up than it does to get behind.  And of course don't forget to throw birthdays and back to school supply shopping in the mix. 

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my kids.  I wish we could lay about all day long or go and do fun things everyday, but then what would the house look like?  What would that yard look like?  And what would be for dinner?  Oh wait, that's already a problem.  The kids refuse to help around the house. 

I've tried everything from taking away privileges to taking away property, and it doesn't help.  I've tried to help them and even bribe them to get things done.  Nothing.  Our garden was looking good and then we lost water from the neighboring fields that we use to irrigate.  Now, where my garden stands, there is a jungle of weeds mixed in with produce. oh yeah, and the water is back on...just in time to revive anything that may have a glimmer of life left.  And dinner.... well, we've had a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or hot dogs. 

Maybe I'm just in a slump.  I don't know.  I do know that I'm not motivated to help or to do anything.  It bothers me that I constantly look for other activities or needs that I can help with before my own.  I know how bad things look at my house, I know that Ethan wore the same outfit for 2 and half days before I forced him to change.  I just didn't care.  We didn't go anywhere, so if he was fine with it, I was too.

I thought about going out and starting to run again.  I wasn't any good or fast, but it did help me get out and have 30 minutes to myself.  That thought was quickly dimmed by the thought of having to change my clothes to get ready to go out.  I mean, I'd have to find those running shoes again.  And man, it's hot out. 

See how full of excuses I've let my life get?  I know I need to change my attitude.  I need something!  I need school to start!  19 days and counting!


1 comment:

Shelly said...

Oh, Pam, I have felt your pain. I hope you find whatever it is to get you out of your slump, and how great it would be if you find that thing before school starts.

So sorry. I hope you make it. Only 18 days now! :)