Saturday, September 4, 2010

Aniversary trip

I know you are all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to see my blog be updated.  So, here's the "no pictures" version.  (I'll post pictures when I can comfortably walk up stairs and get the camera).

Wednesday night my mom came into town and she, the kiddos and I went out for pizza.  Poor Jon had to be at a church meeting and function and so he missed out on the not-so-fabulous pizza.  Later I got the kids in bed and went to bed myself. 

Thursday morning I got the girls off to school and packed our bag and Jon packed the van.  We were off!

We didn't really have much officially planned, we just knew what direction we wanted to go and to see some of the sights we had to miss on our honeymoon 10 years ago.  We drove to the Newberry Volcanic National Monument (think National Forest) and found the campground we wanted all before 3:30 pm.  We paid our fee before we realized that we should have grabbed something for dinner.  REMEMBER: we were being "spontaneous".  We needed to get a piece of paper that said we had reserved our campsite and paid the fee before we could go anywhere.  We tried to talk to the camp hosts, but they would not answer their big RV door and so we decided to kill some time by going on a hike.

The hike started out really nice and easy.  The trail head said that the trail was 2 3/4 miles long and would take us to the top of the mountain where we could see the whole caldera of the volcano. There were some steep spots and I realized it would be smarter to have my back aligned before the next hike, but spontaneity was our creed this weekend and this was all part of the "lessons learned" speech I was reciting to myself in my head.

The trail went on and on and on and on and on.  Finally we made it to a clearing that was definitely at the "top" of the mountain.  (I did take a picture for proof).  But there was no sign to tell us we had reached the end of the trail and to turn around.  There before us was a continuation of the trail.  So, we kept walking.  We would have "hated" hiking that far and turn around when we could have been a few more yards from the end.  Looking back.....we were dumb!  We should have turned around.

We kept walking and walking and walking.  I grimaced at every step and every incline and decline.  My hip sockets felt like I had knives twisting deeper and deeper into them with every step. 

Now, we left on this hike at roughly 3:30 pm and at 5:30 pm is when we decided we'd made it to the top.  We continued hiking for another 2 1/2 hours looking for the way down the mountain.  Finally we came to a service road and we know that roads lead to people.  The sun was setting and we were SO unprepared to stay on the mountain.  Prayers (that were uttered under my breath for most of the walk) were answered and finally we passed a campground that was next to ours.  Just a little further down the road we would be at our spot. 

Our stupid piece of paper was hanging on our site marker and so Jon and I got in the van and at 8:03 pm drove the 35 miles to the nearest town hoping that something would be open so we could eat.  We found a 24 hour truck stop, ate a ridiculously expensive dinner and then drove the 35 miles back to our campsite.

I have never hurt so bad in my life!

Friday morning we woke up and were out of the campsite by 7 am, grabbed pain medication at a local grocery store, ate breakfast at a cute little restaurant and drove on to Crater Lake.

We got to Crater Lake mid morning and took the time to take pictures and read up about the crater and the lake and all the things that made it what it is today.  Jon even managed to talk to some rangers about a Scouting hike next year. 

After Crater Lake, we went to the Lava River Cave where we "slowly" walked the 1.1 miles down through a cave that was made by lava.  It was super interesting, dark, and cold!  Not to mention rocky.  We then turned around and walked, slowly, back up the 1.1 miles.  Even though I was somewhat starting to feel better, the pain was so horrendous that I wasn't sure I'd make it. 

We decided it might be best to get a hotel for the night since camping might aggravate my "condition" more.  My mom got us an awesome room at the Marriott Travel Suites in Bend, Oregon.  It was perfect to do some laundry, take showers, order dinner and watch TV. 

This morning we got up early and started the drive home.  We stopped at the Maryhill museum and looked around, grabbed lunch and got back on the road. 

We pulled into the driveway at 1 pm and have enjoyed the quiet and peace that is surrounding us. (Grandma took the kiddos to Tri Cities to pick peaches.)

I am so thankful for supporting family who allowed us to take this trip.  I love my husband very much and consider him to be my best friend.  I cannot think of anyone else that I would get lost on a mountain, explore a lava tube, and drive over 16 hours in a car with. 

Now, back to reality.

(Like I said, when I get to moving better, and actually make it up some stairs, I'll post pictures)

2 comments:

Clayton & Kayley Anderson said...

Oh man, I know exactly how you feel right now. I took a weightlifting class in high school. If it weren't for the stupid dynamic stretching it wouldn't have hurt to blink. So sorry, hope you get to feeling better!

Shelly said...

Remind me to avoid being spontaneous with you and Jon!!!

Despite the major hike, it sounds like it really was a great anniversary trip! I hope you recover soon and reality at home doesn't hit you too hard!!