Saturday, December 26, 2009

Peace in the Shaw household...

Out of the 360 days of 2009 that we have had so far, one day stands out as the most peaceful of days.  That was Christmas Day.  Yep, that's right.  Well-mannered and well-behaved children filled our house.  They were good when we (Jon and I) decided to sleep in and make them wait until 9 am to open gifts, they were good when we opened gifts, they were good when we visited with friends and family.  It was absolutely amazing! 

There was something that filled the air with love and compassion.  There was sharing and consideration.  It was truly a Christmas miracle!

Back to real life.

We have had many arguments and knock-out fights today as the girls were asked to clean their room, the boys weren't exactly on the same page with each other when it came to sharing with new toys also. 

I can't say that I blame them too much.  There were a lot of great gifts this year.  Grandma and Grandpa Anderson spoiled us again and we are grateful!  Santa was good too and brought a Wii and several accessories and movies and jewelry and transformers and toy tool sets.  The kids had fun shopping for each other this year and really put good thought into what they wanted to get each other.  I was thrilled with the excitement that came with opening each gift that their sibling picked out for them.  I hope they were reminded of the lesson that giving is better than receiving, even though receiving is kinda nice too.  They were very thankful this year and made sure to tell everyone who sent/gave them gifts a thank-you. 

It is also important to remember why we are celebrating and to keep our Savior in our minds continually.  I have had many experiences this year where I know that my Savior loves me and knows who I am and knows my trials.  He constantly cares for us and blesses us as we make decisions in our lives.  Life would not have meaning if it weren't for our Heavenly Father's plan and the gift of His son, Jesus Christ.

I am thankful for my family.  Everyone of them!  I am thankful for the examples they are to me.  I am thankful for the love and forgiveness that they extend.  Life would be so hard if we didn't have family. 

I hope everyone has a great start to 2010 and may the Spirit of our Heavenly Father fill our homes and hearts!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

You're story of peace one day and mayhem the next reminds me of working as a bank teller...3-day weekends were great, but the first day back to work was as if the world needed to make up for the peace of our day off. Hope tomorrow everything is peaceful again!!! :) Glad you had such a great Christmas! See you soon!!