It always seems like I reflect back on life once a year...ok, my birthday makes me feel old. (Jon is older though, so it helps....a little). And during that reflection I think of the funny little things that have happened, the serious ones, the happy ones, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I sit down and try to think of my earliest memory of my childhood.
I remember my first day of kindergarten and the first time I rode a school bus. I remember a birthday where I got a new dresser and in the drawers was loose change...don't remember how much, but that was AWESOME!
I remember different houses we lived in and different cars. I remember when I cut my sister Becky's hair and jumping on the bed so much that I slipped off and scraped my side. I remember locking Santa Claus out one year and he was so nice that he left our presents on the front porch. And who could forget the bike accident that sent me to the hospital for 8 "baseball" stitches?...not me, I still have the scars on my forehead and shoulder from the road rash.
I remember my grandma and grandpa Anderson like they're still here. The fun times we had at their house looking at all of their trinkets and how we kids always wanted to have toast whenever we went to visit. Watching grandma quilt or me pretending to play the piano or watching 60 minutes with grandpa. Sometimes I wish I could still do that.
I remember moving to a new town and new school and trying to make new friends. Clayton and I would knock on the wall between our rooms to see if each other was awake and sometimes we would stay up late just talking.
I remember the choir trips and concerts all through High School, the football and basketball games. Passing dad on the sidewalk in front of our house one night coming home from a movie with a friend....never did that again! *side note-dad went to work in the middle of the night...we were supposed to be home before he got up to go to work*
I remember my first job (other than babysitting) working at a cool burger joint....then DQ and then helping elderly people in an assisted living residence.
Going off to college was something I thought would never come and that was almost 10 years ago. While at college I remember the football games and me trying to make money working the concession stand so that I could buy groceries. I remember my wonderful roommates and the fun that we had together (good thing some of those pictures are lost forever!) (j/k...what pictures???) Walking uphill both ways to school and home in the snow! *Very TRUE!!! Where we lived in Rexburg we had to walk down the "big" hill only to turn right and walk back up the hill to get home and the other way around to get to our classes*
I remember my first date with Jon and then our wedding and trying to make it as two college students who found out a baby was on the way.
Who would have guessed that I would have married someone who grew up 40 minutes away from my grandma and grandpa Lanning and that I would be living so close to them with my own kids. Memories of the many ping pong games and the home-made chocolates and ice cream. Not to mention all of those Avon sample lipsticks and corn on the cob!
I remember when Kyra was a baby and then Megan. It seems like yesterday that Jacob and then Ethan came into our family. Moving back to Hermiston was a hard decision and now it's been a year since we moved.
Looking back I know I have had a great life so far and that I have been richly blessed by my Heavenly Father. I have a great extended family and immediate family. I love my parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, husband and children and I'm thankful for all of the memories, good and bad, that I have! I know that each experience that I have had these past 28 years has made me who I am today and I look forward to many more years and many more memories.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday! I have been thinking about you all week, but you always wish me a Happy Birthday first (I do remember yours though). And those college pictures are not lost, I have copies! Hope you have a Happy Day!
I hope your Birthday was happy. You brought a smile to my face when you reminded me of always wanting toast at Aunt Karen's...I forgot all about that!! It's because we thought the toaster oven was so cool (we didn't have one at home). I can still remember the smell of that house if I think about it. *Sigh* Memories!
Post a Comment