Saturday, August 16, 2008

Life Lesson #?

Life Lesson:
Don't start canning carrots at 1am.

Ok. So those carrots I posted about the other day have been, well, sitting on my counter sliced and covered with water, in the fridge taking up valuable space, and in a sack on my kitchen floor.
I've tried many times to get in the kitchen to can my carrots only to be distracted by more pressing matters, i.e. Baby puke, toddler bites, sisterly arguments, the Olympics, (the list goes on and on).
So this morning at 1 am while Jon was at work and my beautiful children were finally visiting dreamland, I decided to tackle the carrots.
Things were going great and I guess this is where the prompting came in to seriously watch the ancient pressure cooker I was given. Did I listen? No. And honestly it's probably good that I wasn't near that blasted thing! (Who am I kidding? It was great that I wasn't near it!) Needless to say, at roughly 3 pounds of pressure, the lid came flying off and water went everywhere! Now, before you jump to conclusions, I need to let you know that all 7 pints of carrots that I had in there all sealed and look beautiful! I am fine (I stopped shaking around 5am), the vent above my stove is fine, my stove has never been cleaner (Amazing what boiling hot water will do to stuck-on stains), my floor has been freshly mopped, the ceiling and cabinets have been washed and I have decided that this year I am going to freeze the rest of my carrots!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad you weren't near it went it blew.

Becky said...

ooo, that's a good reason I could use to why I don't have any interest in canning (other than my laziness). "My sister could have had her whole face blown off by a pressure cooker, so I don't think it's worth the risk"...I'll use that excuse and stick to the store-bought kind.
Yikes, glad to hear everyone stayed safe.

The Crocketts said...

Wow, not only do you have WAY more ambition than I do with 4 kids, I don't even OWN a pressure cooker! I'm so glad you found me and that the pressure cooker lid and boiling water DIDN'T find you! Hope all is well!
Hugs,
Heather